<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

DOPES "R" US #1


I've never understood the advertising strategm that offers up a product or a place of business as one suitable for idiots, morons, or brain damaged people.

Of course, this isn't a new tactic. I remember the floating Volkswagen from years ago, even though I didn't get it. I didn't drive yet, but still, I couldn't imagine a circumstance in which I'd drive my car into a lake. (And indeed, after some decades of driving, I have avoided this fate.)

I never felt the need for a Volkswagen.

Maybe the runaway success of the "For Dummies" and "For Complete Idiots" book lines has inspired more of this type of sales technique. Whatever the reason, it has really come to forefront lately.

Today's example.

A family is posed in front of a Christmas tree. Granny is taking a picture. But Granny is so addled that she is using a stapler instead of a camera. Hilarious stuff. Alzheimer's? Senile Dementia? Everyone knows that's a laugh a minute.

Cut to a shot of a Staples store. Staples has digital cameras!

Then back to the happy family. The picture session is ongoing. Granny is still using a stapler. My God, I thought I would never stop laughing.

I can hardly wait to run out to Staples and wade my way through mobs of customers who don't know a camera from a stapler. That promises to be a real quality shopping experience.







|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?