<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 02, 2004

SAUL FELL OFF HIS HORSE, I ALMOST RAN A RED LIGHT


The Republicans' ability to pick a theme and stay on message has always fascinated me. In our town's Memorial Day ceremony, the local designated grizzled veteran began his speech with the assertion: "Operation Iraqi Freedom is no different from past wars...."

Today we got the official version in the president's address at the Air Force Academy: "Recalling World War II, Bush stresses importance of Iraq" (NYT)

Suddenly, while driving home, I saw the light:

My girls' T-Ball games - there's no difference between them and the World Series.

Playing pickup basketball at the YMCA - it's like the NBA finals.

My office job - it's just as important as being president of Microsoft or Intel.

Homemade tuna salad sandwiches - they're like eating at Nobu, maybe better.

My feud with my big fat obnoxious neighbor about him parking his car on my side of the street - it's worse than the Hatfield and the McCoys.

Those photos of the backyard that my wife emailed to me at work and I printed out on my black and white printer - they're very reminiscent of Ansel Adams.

The Florida election and non-count - it's just like a real democracy.

Cutting my chin while shaving - it's as painful as getting my head hacked off by a crazed Islamist.

Sitting down and typing out this blog entry - it's the same as when Tolstoy was writing War and Peace.

That ability to stay "on message" - it's just like when they discovered that fungus that was the world's largest living thing: an organism hundreds of miles long, spanning several states, with no brain at all.





|
Comments: Post a Comment

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?